- The Lew's BB-1 Speed Spool Smart Plus is a re-vamped re-issue of Lew's Classic Speed Spool Model BB1 casting reels.
- Uses a multi-stop anti-reverse, allowing a little bit of backwards play in the paddle handle, which gives the angler more sensitivity and control when throwing crankbaits.
- Positive on/off Smart Plus Six Pin centrifugal braking system.
- Rugged carbon fiber star drag system that generates up to 20 lbs of drag.
- Double anodized aluminum spool tension adjustment with audible click.
The Lew's BB-1 Speed Spool Smart Plus is a re-vamped re-issue of Lew's Classic Speed Spool Model BB-1 casting reels. The original BB-1 introduced bass anglers to several firsts for casting reels, including an extremely "palmable" low-profile frame, a narrow spool, no-knob side cover, and a fully disengaging level wind. With these innovative technologies, combined with the durable, quality construction Lew's was already known for, the BB-1 was a quick success in the bass fishing world. In fact, the ingenuity, craftsmanship, and know-how exhibited by the first generation of Speed Spool BB-1 reels was so revolutionary, it sparked a cadre of die-hard followers that still vehemently preach the BB-1 gospel to this day.
Since Lew's re-launch in 2010, anglers have been begging the manufacturer to bring back this classic bass reel. And boy did they deliver! The new BB-1 Speed Spool Smart Plus has all the selling points of the original (low-profile design, narrow spool, fully disengaging levelwind, and no-knob palming side cover), plus ten double-shielded stainless steel bearings, combined with one multi-stop anti-reverse bearing for consistently smooth function and perfect hook sets. It's also loaded with a rugged, carbon composite drag system, that can achieve a max drag of up to 20 lbs. There is also a positive on/off Smart Plus Six Pin centrifugal braking system and a 95mm aluminum cranking handle with Lew's custom Soft Touch contoured paddle.
This 5.1:1 gear ratio re-issue is the perfect cranking reel, as, unlike most modern high-end baitcasters, the BB-1 Speed Spool Smart Plus does not employ a true zero anti-reverse, but instead uses a multi-stop anti-reverse. This allows a little bit of backwards play in the paddle handle, which gives the angler more sensitivity and control when throwing crankbaits, particularly deep cranks.
The Lew's BB-1 Speed Spool Smart Plus is available in a 5.1:1 gear ratio Right Hand retrieve only.
CA Proposition 65 WARNING